Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

I used to work in radio and at an afternoon daily.

Do I miss it?

Yes.

Do I miss it that much?

No.

It snowed last night. I just got out into negative wind-chill temperatures to scrape ice and snow off my car and my girlfriend's car. But now we're sitting on the warm couch making fun of the TV people because we're in no hurry.

I did have to get up early to update the Web site for the TWO school districts (public and private) that we cover. Then I was done ... for now.

When I was in radio I had to be in there early, one time digging my car out of nearly a foot of snow. Why did I have to be there? Because I had to help compile and distribute the list of school closings and report snow news.

It was a similar situation with the afternoon daily newspaper. We had to not only get to work in the snow, but we had to get there early so we could get the carriers sent off early. We also had to get some snow photos and maybe a quick weather story to let people know how long this would stick around.

Now, at a weekly, I've updated the Web site, I'll want to get some snow photos, but other than that I'm good. I've got a meeting to go to tonight, one of three evening things I need to attend this week, so even without snow I wasn't concerned about getting in too early anyway.

So at the weekly, so far my job is done. I don't have to leave super early to do extra work and get it done early.

Do I miss the adrenaline rush of getting the snow news out first?

Sure.

Am I glad I didn't have to go in early today?

You betchya!

No comments:

Post a Comment